Monday, November 18, 2013

Dance Kid

One of my longtime, dance studio friends recently brought an article titled "27 Undeniable Signs You Were A Dancer" to my attention. The buzzfeed article instantly brought back so many memories and it was prefect timing to me personally for two reasons. 

First, this past Saturday I substituted at my dance studio, teaching a long sequence of Ballet Technique, Somatics & Stretching, Lyrical, and then hosting a CoEXISTdance Master Class. This ultimately meant that the young dancers and myself spent Saturday at the dance studio from 9:30am to 3pm! Almost a full school day! The most amazing part: I loved every second of it and so did they. I used to LIVE for Saturdays at my dance studio: Ballet Technique, Ballet Repertoire, Dance Composition, Lunch, Modern, Modern Competition. Talk about the glory days. I mean really, what could be better? It's Saturday, you spend 8 hours doing what you love, with the people who become your closest friends. 

Second, the exciting start of the CoEXISTdance Jr. Dance Company has ignited so many reminiscent thoughts for me. It is so refreshing to see such young and genuine dedication, commitment, and pure passion. These are dancers who simply want to dance and want to dance more. All of the Jr. dancers are so hungry for the art form and it is so evident in the studio at our rehearsals and master classes. From their professionalism to their detailed questions, the way they practice on the side of the performance space and watch each other dance, the respect they show to their teachers and their excitement about upcoming shows. 

As a professional, it has been such a rewarding process to touch base with my own roots in my dance training as I work closely with the Jr. Dance Company. The young dancers have inspired me to take a step back and look at my own dancing and choreographing in a much bigger way. Instead of thinking only about my work over the past few months or years, I am so much more inclined to look at my work over the decades, accounting for the past, the present, and the future. Also making me feel ancient, but that is a whole different blog. I feel so much more well-rounded as an artist and I have the Jr. Company to thank for that :) 

Anyway, looking back to the article, I must take a more humorous and personal route by sharing my favorite point. 

1. You and your friends would choreograph dances after school "for fun"
HUGE UNDERSTATEMENT! Me and my friends not only did this after school but at sleepovers, down the shore, at the studio, anytime and anywhere! We had rehearsals and mock performances. From the Lion King's "Hakuna Mata"to Britney Spears, "Tainted Love" to Annie the Musical, choreographing was clearly more than a passion from a really early age. Still is. 

There is no point to this blog other than the simple joy of looking back upon dance memories and laughing. I encourage readers to jump in and share a dance memory or two below in the comment section. There is a beauty to sharing past memories and reminiscing and it feels so good! 

If anyone would like to check out the full article… http://www.buzzfeed.com/jessicamisener/27-undeniable-signs-you-were-a-dance-kid

Hope you enjoyed the read and I look forward to some great comments! 

Katie :) 


No comments:

Post a Comment