Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Music and Dance are Life



Ever believe in intense dream analysis? Yeah I have those amazing dreams where I can turn a billion times, do a billion flips and partner w/Matthew Powell or Sascha Radetesky (or just be Stella Abrera who is married to Sasha Radetesky and is a Filipina-American principal dancer w/ABT... One of us made it!). However I never really weighed in on them too heavily like the deep meanings of forgetting your shoes, being chased by dinosaurs, or having your teeth fall out... But occasionally I get these dreams where something profound happens - like I fall off my couch and into my glass coffee table because in my dream I was jumping out of a car to escape a bad situation.  That's an extreme example...

Luckily for me I also dream movement and choreography and if I'm able to wake I will get up and start recreating it or at least writing it down.  I always have a pen and paper on my bedside for when these things randomly happen. Words also come out that mean something to me and sometimes I can never forget them. 

About a month or so ago I dreamt the words in the picture above. I know where some of it came from. When I lived in NYC this summer I was sitting at a coffee shop in the east village when I looked out the window and saw a bunch of Asians who seemed to be doing a project w/their class. They were writing things on the sidewalks with chalk. I found it so interesting i followed them all the way to union square park. My favorite one was: 

I stood there and stared at it, music blasting in my ears about rooftops, never feeling alone in New York City, and the ed sheeran song my student sent me saying it made her think of me (aww!) When I went to NYC this summer I was kind of on a mission - to feel - to feel free, happy, and to refuel (amongst other things). I'd literally walk around, ear phones in, dancing around the streets, w/a silly smile on my face. I am first and foremost a dancer in life and the phrase "dance is life" has always been ingrained in my being. I'm single and live in a world where everyone's too busy to stop and just TAKE TIME (myself included). It occurred to me that music is just as important in life - if dance is life... So is music.  (Read my next blog on the importance of the dance-music connection!)

*Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment