Monday, February 10, 2014

Guest Artist Reflection: Lora Allen & A Newfound Looseness

On Friday, February 7, Miss Lora Allen graced us with her Modern dance presence, swinging limbs and teaching improvisation through a two hour class. Wow, did the junior company learn a lot! The girls were given an opportunity to play with the momentum of their bodies through group exercises and partnering. In duos, they alternated roles of initiator and mover. The initiator would creatively tap, push, or shove a part of her partner’s, allowing the mover to follow the momentum of the contact. Not only did they learn to communicate through touch, but the creative juices began flowing and new ways of moving were explored. They busted out of their regular studio routine of technique. Here’s a little taste of what our young dancers learned and enjoyed on such a cold winter’s night.




“I really liked in the beginning when we did the partner thing because it really let someone else control me and my movements. The combination helped me let go of myself.” – Hailey G.

 “Very different. We did a lot of stuff that we wouldn’t do at our original studios, like the combinations.” –Erin M.

“I thought it was very fun and outgoing. There were things I don’t usually do.” – Sarah C.

“I liked in the combination how you could let yourself out and not keep your whole body in.” – Abigail M.

 “When we did the partner stuff, it gave us an opportunity to trust more people.” – Jess W.

 “I thought it was looser than what we have to do in the studio that I go to.” – Julia H.

 “I like when we went across the floor when we were in partners and pushed each other.” – Alexa F.

 “I thought we did different body movements. It was awkward, like pushing the other person. I thought it was a trust thing.” – Emeral N.

 “I liked the routine at the end. I liked that it was different.” - Cashmere

“I thought it was fun because it was loose and not as stiff.” – Katie M.

 “I thought it was very helpful because I learned a lot and really got to learn to push through the ball of my foot.” – Ariana G.

 “I thought it was really fun. The combinations and the special slapping thingy.” – Maddie A.


No comments:

Post a Comment