Friday, January 25, 2013

A Blessing in Disguise (repost from old blog)


Hello world!
     I decided to be the first to add to this blog! Actually this will be the first blog I've ever written, but I'm very excited to be part of something cool like this! For the past 6 months, I have been interning with coEXISTdance, and I have loved EVERY second of it! Kathleen is extremely motivating and inspiring, I couldn't ask for someone better to intern for. I consider myself very lucky when I hear people complain about their boring, dull, worthless internships and evil supervisors, and I get to do work that I'm passionate about! :)
     I also consider this internship a huge blessing on a very very personal note as well. A little over 6 months ago, the most shocking, devastating, and unbelievable news was delivered to me by my boyfriend. I will never forget that Saturday morning. I went to teach my dance classes, just as I normally did every Saturday morning. However, this Saturday would be far different from any I could imagine. My boyfriend called me right after class and told me to come to his house right away. So many thoughts were rushing through my head. . . Is everything okay at home? Did someone get hurt? Why does he sound so worried? As I pulled up to his house, I will never forget the devastated look on his face. He got in my car, pulled it to the side of the road, and told me my dad had a heart attack that morning and didn't make it.
    In that moment, my life changed instantly. It was as if the whole world stopped and caved in on me. Even though the months following that Saturday morning were the hardest I've ever been through, I gained a new outlook on my life and goals. My dad was always the biggest supporter of my love for dance, and he never missed a single show. I have always dreamed of opening my own studio, starting a dance company, or working in the field of arts administration. People always say you can't make a career out of performing, teaching, or dance in general. However, after my dad's passing, it gave me a full force motivation to live out my dreams and make my daddy proud!
    That is why I consider this internship experience a HUGE blessing. It has not only given me the experience and skills I need to be successful in a dance related career, but it has also shown me that I CAN live out my dreams and make them happen! During a time in my life when I've been experiencing enormous amounts of change, I have been thankful for the amazing opportunities that I've been blessed with, including my internship with coEXISTdance.  I know my dad is extremely proud of everything I've been doing, and I can't wait for him to watch me continue living out my dreams!
-Jenn :)

No comments:

Post a Comment